I lucked out on figuring out my curriculum. A friend of mine home schooled and recommended www.welltrainedmind.com as a resource. There is a book that describes the curriculum from preschool to 12th grade (400+ pages) and you can buy 1st Grade in a Box, basic and deluxe. I went for the deluxe, and well, it really does have everything, maybe even for two years! Math, reading, grammar, writing, handwriting, history, science (lots of science), art and music. It's overwhelming, but still comforting that it's all there. The Well-Trained Mind has it's own publishing company, Peace Hill Press, and several of the books are written by the same two women who developed the curriculum. Everything is developmentally appropriate, which is something that seems harder and harder to find in public school curriculum. We put our children in Montessori preschool, so I am very much aware of the importance of teaching to a child's level.
Today's work was similar to yesterday's, but more math. The kids love the history book so I'm trying to read it after my daughter is home, but son couldn't wait so we did the next chapter right after violin practice. Finished Matilda and read a bit from Little House on the Prairie. I had started the Little House series at the beginning of the school year with my daughter during her (now non-existent) special time with me every afternoon. She loves Laura and Mary! Well, now we're starting over again so that both kids can hear the entire series. If they're anything like me, we'll be needing a new set in a couple of years.
No comments:
Post a Comment